Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Road to Rio

In her fetching blog, Musings on Marketing and Other Morsels, "Madman" Marjorie Clayman 
consoles social media marketing newbies who might be disappointed they're not yet famous that "there is a reason to keep on trying."

She describes the grisly feeling of being a digital Jonny-come-lately ("No matter how long I work on this, there will always be a crowd of people who have been working on it longer") and how the "pioneers" of social media marketing seem remote and awesome ("I am not in the crowd of people who are up in the highest room of the tallest tower").

Clayman then guesses the future road to fame for herself and others lies in some place other than the worlds of blogs and Twitter.  "I'm not sure folks coming up with me, now, can ever achieve the kind of pull and influence that the leaders in this space have now.  Or if we do, it will be through a very different pathway."

I understand well the feelings of futility social media marketers are prey to.  But I'm not sure the old road to fame is overcrowded, blocked or worn out.

In fact, I'm not sure there is an old road, except for the one to Rio. 

I like the advice of the Spanish poet Antonio Machado:

"Travelers, there is no path, paths are made by walking."
Powered by Blogger.