Thursday, February 2, 2017

List versus Story




Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I'll remember. Involve me, I'll understand.

― Chinese Proverb

In The Hook, Richard Krevolin asks us to imagine two prehistoric tribes, the "List" and the "Story."

The leader of the List provides tribe members a list of "10 things to do when you see a lion."

Two miles away, the leader of the Story sits down and tells tribe members about his boyhood encounter with a hungry lion.

Later, members of each tribe bump into a lion.

The Story Tribe members know just what to do (namely, mimic their leader).

The List Tribe debate what to do first, are eaten, and thus removed from the gene pool.

"Today I think it's fair to say that we are all the genetic offspring of the Story Tribe," Krevolin says.
Powered by Blogger.